Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Oh, Tuesday

Days till Hull: Tonight!
Days till Thanksgiving: 2


So this morning I awake feeling particularly refreshed and alert. Immediately I begin to worry, because if I ever wake up before my alarm goes off I always feel exhausted and cranky and like I might kill the first person I see. It's very light outside, which also makes me worry, as I set my alarm for 7:15am so I could shower and do my hair, and it's usually still pretty gray out there at that time.

I reach over and grope for my phone (aka: my alarm clock) and when I pick it up, I realize, to my horror, that the screen is dark - and won't turn on. Which means it's dead. I scramble out of bed, trip over the sheet, and dart across the room to hurl my eyeball at the microwave clock (since I don't sleep in my contacts and therefore am blind as a bat) and see, to my horror, that it is 9:35am.

9:35am. For the first time since I was 14 and started working, I've overslept. I've never even overslept my jobs as a hostess, never mind my jobs at the other law firms and publishing agency. Now some people might just shrug and head into work, but since I had no phone to call with, my (stolen) internet never works in the morning, and I'm hardly a normal person, I very nearly have a heart attack. I get all the workings of a panic attack, and proceed to run around like I'm on fire, half-screaming, throwing clothes on, brushing my teeth with far too much toothpaste, and then darting out the door with minimal makeup on. It was like a nightmare come to life.

After huffing and puffing for 8 blocks I realize two things:

1) I am seriously getting out of shape again

2) My endometriosis is seriously the biggest fucking pain in the ass in the entire world.

2.5) Oops forgot one more thing - I can't wait for menopause in January. I'm going to throw a menopause party, then run to work and enjoy the brisk air, and then pump my fists victoriously when I am pain free (and 20 minutes early, to boot.)

So that's the way I start my crazy Tuesday (Wordsworth, eat your heart out.) Right after work I have to bolt home and make sure I've packed everything I need for Thanksgiving Break, because Super Shuttle is picking me up between 7:25-7:40pm and I need to be ready; otherwise the permanently pissed off driver will probably take off and leave me stranded on the sidewalk. And Dulles is so very far away.

Tonight I take the red eye flight back to Boston, and thus begins the insanity known as Thanksgiving Break. My family will be my family, which will mean we'll drink, we'll fight, Turkey will be thrown, and maybe - just maybe - miracles will happen. It's such a special, magical time of the year. Now where's my bottle of Pinot Noir, I need to get this party started now; there's no way in hell I can get on the plane and arrive in Hull without having been thoroughly soused for a good 9 or so hours.

No comments: