Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Fighting the Flu and the Devil's Instruments of Roach Horror

Days till Halloween: 15
Days till Omaha: 1
Chances of Survival: Almost Nonexistent

I have been steam rolled by what I can now confidently say is the flu; body aches, headaches, fever, sore throat, pained stomach, loss of appetite, etc. Once again it gives me a pounding headache to stare at the computer screen, but at least it gives me something to focus on, and keeps me (for now) from falling asleep at my desk. And by falling asleep, I mean passing out deliriously.

I left work around 12:30pm yesterday, figuring I'd suck it up and get half a day in, and then true to my word, I weaved an unsteady path back to my apartment, making even the hobos look at me with distrustful eyes (of course that didn't prevent 40 coffee cups clanging with change from being thrust in my face, but priorities, people.)

I spent most of the day sitting in bed, sleeping, and watching the rest of Supernatural Season 1, which at least helped somewhat to ease the pain. I even got Kristyn to watch an episode with me when she came by to say hello and pick up her frying pan and The Wall of Shame (that's an interesting sentence.) I know this blog is rapidly degenerating into the Supernatural Hot Boy Extravaganza, but can you really blame me? Just take a look at this and tell me you didn't want to throw caution to the wind and uh... jump through your computer screen and paw at them:

You will find resistance to our brooding futile


While the overwhelming woobiness of the Winchester brothers may have temporarily helped make me feel better, something horrific happened that quickly brought everything to a crashing halt: I found a cockroach. On my ceiling, of all places. Now, I'd found a very small one a few days ago, and after much squealing and stomping I killed it, but couldn't be entirely sure what it had been since it was a messy, tiny pulp on my kitchen floor. This thing on the wall though, while still small, was the real deal. To my credit, I resisted the urge to burst into tears and run screaming to the front desk, but I think that was partially because my head was spinning, and I thought it'd be a great idea to whack at it with one of the paddles I have from my days in the sorority.

Things I Figured Out While Hitting a Cockroach With a Sorority Paddle:

1. Cockroaches seriously are impenetrable forces of evil
2. No matter how many times I smooshed it, it just kept on living
3. Sorority paddles do not make good defensive or offensive weapons
4. I need to buy a very big hammer

Since I couldn't actually kill the hell beast, I managed to get it onto the paddle, and dash out to the trash room to throw it away. Erin later asked if I threw it in the trash chute, but I didn't, since we don't actually have one - we have a room with some trash bags in it, that smells vaguely of rotting vegetables and decomposing body parts. It's charming, really. And now it has the cockroach, which will probably start a colony and will carry off unsuspecting tenants when they try to throw their trash away. I think I better start just throwing my trash out the window.



Artist's Rendition


And that was my exciting day! After work today (who knows how long I'll last) I get to go home, pack for Omaha, and then pass out cold on my bed and hopefully sleep all night long (thank you, Nyquil!) I really want to take some Tylenol PM or Nyquil before getting on the plane tomorrow, but somehow I think my boss isn't going to really want to pry my unconscious body off the plane and drag me to the hotel, so I might pass on that. Plus, if I was out cold, I'd miss out on the delicious chocolate chip cookies that Midwest Air offers its passengers. We all have to make sacrifices.

No comments: