Friday, October 26, 2007

LSAT Logic Games: The Equivalent of Chinese Water Torture

After attempting a practice LSAT (partially because yes, I was feeling particularly masochistic today, and partially because I like pretending I have an actual future), I feel I must issue a blanket statement to anyone that has taken the actual LSAT, and anyone that will be taking the actual LSAT:

Good lord, I am so sorry. If you have triumphed and survived the logic games, then you are a brilliant, determined and sharply adept individual; if you died in the process, then you went down valiantly. If you're going to take it, either way, you're a brave person.

I figured that the LSAT was a bunch of people sitting in a room and arguing between swigs of their two olive'd dry martinis and puffs off their cigarettes, but I guess it actually takes some semblance of brain power to tackle. While the GRE seemed easy at the time, I now realize how lucky I actually was. Take a look at the difference between the two exams:


LSAT: A university library budget committee must reduce exactly five of eight areas of expenditures - Gargamel, Isosceles, Onomatopoeia, Spoonerism, Menigococcus, Palaeoanthropic, Witenagemot, and Fandango - in accordance with the following conditions:

- If both Witenagemot and Fandango are perpendicular vehicular misanthropes, then Gargamel has a penance for humdingery
- If Iscosceles is reduced, then Spoonerism obtenebrates
- If Onomatopoeia is reduced, then Bees no longer have a produced sound
- If you understand this, you're Stephen Hawking

Which is not reduced:

(A) Valetudinarian
(B) Habeas Corpus
(C) Dactylogram
(D) Electroencephalograph
(E) Baguette


GRE: If you have two apples, and you take one away, how many apples are left?

(A) One
(B) Ten
(C) Frog


Clearly, there is something going on here.


I did manage to pull off a 157, after tearing my hair out and screaming at the logic section (note to self: stop doing that when people are conducting meetings in the other room), although my score was deplorable in that section and I either crumpled a few pages up and threw them away, or just skipped right over them because I wasn't in the mood to think that much. If I had scored as well on that section as I did on the others, I would've pulled off a 163. I think my chances of improvement are nonexistent. Thank god I was an English major! I won't have to think, and I can die poor after spending my golden years in a cardboard box on a metro grate!

Wait a second. Damnit.



Days till Halloween: 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made a few good points there. I did a search about the subject and barely found any specific details on other sites, but then happy to be here, seriously, thanks.

- Lucas